Martes, Enero 1, 2013

Cry (Bernadette S. Embien)


“CRY”

The stage was set, spotlights were on and thousands of crowds were waiting for me and Brenna, my dearest best friend. Everyone’s shrieking our names, admiring us for being good performers. The applause and praises coming from our fans, brings us the happiest moment in our lives. Out of that moment I heard someone’s calling my name, “Via! Via! Wake up, breakfast is ready”, that was my father. Just like the other days, that was just a dream, I'm always dreaming of that repeatedly, performing to the crowds with my best friend, a real life dream from the past—and I remember Brenna.
It's been five years ago when Brenna left us. She was just about the craziest best friend a girl ever had. Of course, she wasn't a crazy like Albert Einstein tried to kill himself just to find out where he belongs, heaven or hell. I met Brenna during my college days. She’s a cool girl with an exceptional talent, good singer and a dancer as well. She’s also beautiful and I admire her for being a strong lady. She’s my idol and I always tell to her that I am the luckiest person allowing God to be herr best of friend.
Brenna is only with her brother, their parents already died when she was young. Something’s different to Brenna was she has a “dull face”, where you will never predict what she’s thinking. The expression of her face is the same either she’s smiling or a kind of irritating. I never saw her crying, quite arrogant but she never leaves me. That was just my perception anyway.
One morning, we met each other at school, we eat together, hang out together, and we always do that as if we’re real sister. God knows how I value Brenna; I always wanted to dream that someday Brenna and I will perform together on stage in front of millions of people who idolize us. For that I asked her to join the competition with me but she refuse to accept my request.
 “Why should I join to that stupid competition, though I surely know that I will be the one to become a winner so why should I?” arrogantly said. I already expected that act of her but I still convinced her.
 “Please let us be part of this competition, I want to perform on stage with you don’t you remember? That was my dream.” I pleasingly said. What I have said was nothing to her, as usual her face was dull, and couldn’t even know what she’s thinking. 
 “If we win the prize will be yours”, I added. I know Brenna is better than any other people; she’s quite fond of money but not in fame. Gold digger in other term but for me she’s just a practical one because of the struggle she and her brother had encountered. I understand her because I love her and she’s my sister. After she heard about the prize, unsurprisingly she accepted my offer. We joined the “The Search Performing Artist” that was an individual competition but everyone was aloud sing and dance by group whether it is duet or solo. On the first day of screening, Brenna and I sing together a solemnize song titled “First love” We’re both good but she’s better than me.
Right after the song we sang, the judge announced the result.
 “You're both have the good voice, and we cannot deny that fact because you are in this completion”, the mentor said. That praise makes me smile but felt nervous. I looked Brenna but she’s very serious us usual she had no reaction.
 “Only one will passed to the next elimination”, mentor hurriedly said. That made feel sad, right after that information I already predict that Brenna will be the one to choose, and my dream to perform with her could now be impossible. Surprisingly, out of nowhere I saw Brenna smiled after the mentor speaks.
 “Why is she smiling?” I whispered to myself. 
 “Ms. Via, congratulations, you passed the screening, sorry Ms. Brenna!”
 “What?” Brenna shouted. We’re both shocked.
 “I sang it well, we all know that! You said we’re both have a good voice, why did you pass only one of us? Why is it Via only?” she complained.
 The mentor stands with an irritating face and said, “Ms. Via sang with emotion unlike what you have sang, a bit boring!”
“Is that all you have? I thought this is a sing and dance competition? Is the emotion matters? Tell me sir, is this an acting competition?” insultingly said.
“Could you mind sir, I would like give my slot to my best friend Brenna” I offered.
 “Stop!” she demanded. “We both know that I am better than you Via!”…. “Don’t act as if you feel mercy on me”. Looking deeply to the mentor Brenna begun to speak hard, “how come you would choose Via? I am better than her! She was just an amateur one! In fact she’s just my assistant, no one but a slave, my slave!” 
“How could you said that Brenna. We’re best friend??” I cried.
“Shut up! I never said you’re my best friend!!” she shouted.
“What you have said was an act of being unprofessional” mentor insultingly said. “You will never have the fame because you have the highest pride!!” “Is that so? What do want me to do? Kneel in front of all of you? What a shamed!” she asked
“You must!” mentor commanded. What we have heard was so painful in part of Brenna, but her face was in tiger, seemingly there’s a tears wants to escape out of her eyes and she trying to hide that looking sharply to the mentor as if she wouldn’t do that anyway. Silence is in air. Brenna’s brain seemed to have suffered a similar paralysis. Suddenly she walked out to the screening place with a strange face. I left alone in front of the stage. I want to speak but the words stuck somewhere in my throat. From the outside, Brenna begun to cry, she don’t want other people to see her crying that’s why she walked out. That was the first time she cried. Just a minute, she wipes her tears with a piece of tissue coming from her pink dress’s pocket. She brings back the dull face of her and hurriedly goes back to the stage. She stop from a far and slowly walking toward beside me, looked at me deeply and kneeled down in front of the mentor. “This is what you commanded sir, I’m so sorry sir, please give a chance” said Brenna without any emotion. The mentor was amazed of what Brenna did so they give her chance to proceed to the next elimination. She stands firmly and looked at me again deeply. She was no longer having the interest to continue to next elimination. She was just tried to regain herself from deep sarcasm. That face of her made me sick; I know that she’s mad at me because I beat her. A gut impression coming from her face made me thinks that my best friend was now turned to a dangerous one. Once again she left me alone.
When I was at home, I almost remembered what she have told to me, that she never find me as her best friend but just an assistant of her. And the most painful was she told me that I am just her slave. For that, quite hatred was build in my heart. I have come to realized that she treated me like a fool.
One day at school, Brenna was on my way and I don’t even know what to do. That competition made me realized that she’s not a kind of best fried belongs to me, so every time I saw her I keep on hiding.
Without Brenna knows, the competition we have joined was my father’s project. That competition was my request to my dad because I want Brenna to win but I didn’t expect that the judge would play it well. My father owned an artist production where all singers and dancers started. I love Brenna so much that I could do all things just to help her but that was contradicted to what she did to me. And I thank her for that because that competition revealed the real character of her.
It is like breaking news spread all over the campus. What I have done was revealed to Brenna “that pride, whose slave I was, spoke to me louder than any other voice.” Brenna screamed at the rooftop of the campus. “I betrayed Via! I betrayed my best friend!” she shouted repeatedly. She cried and cried as if she was like a young kid being left by her mother. “Via did it all because she love me, admires me, idolize me but what did I do? I neglected her! How selfish I am! How cruel I am!” Brenna continues crying while I was watching her from a far. That was the first time I saw her crying, not just crying but screaming, asking for forgiveness for what she have done to me. The girl that I have known whose with the dull face without any emotion was quite different to Brenna that time. She’s in pain; her face was so sad and has guilt. By the time her in that situation, I have already forgive her. I do love her to mad to be mad at her for so long.
Within a few weeks, I always staring at her secretly, as if I’m her secret admirer, quite funny but that’s true. I want to talk to her but I’m afraid. After a month I haven’t seen her and it takes added a week, but still I did not saw Brenna anymore. I went to their house but they were not around. According to their neighbor it’s been a month since they left their house together Brenna and her brother. “They were in their Auntie in province. They decided to go there as her Auntie requested.” neighbor said.
By the time Brenna knows everything about what I done to her, she started to lose her self confidence. She never sing and dance again, she don’t even wants to hear any music around because that reminds her of how cruel she was, betraying her best friend. She used her time by helping her Auntie in their bake shop at the province.
One day, Danielle buys some bread to her Auntie’s bake shop. Brenna and her brother were in that place for almost a month but that was the first time she saw Danielle. He was the sort of man world attract to stares. Brenna was curious about him because they have the same personality and she was aware of that. Danielle was quite arrogant. “If you care to tell me what is your name I would be happy to visit here at your shop every day.” Danielle arrogantly said. There was something electric about that smile that every ladies pulse begins to race but not with Brenna. “If you want to buy please just point it” Brenna said pointing to sort of cup cakes filled with colorful sprinkles at the top. He had long fingers and strong arms sprinkled with dark hair.  Brenna smiled with herself thinking that no hunk guy could ever like cupcakes with those colorful toppings, which were just for a kid.  “Why are you smiling?” he said. “No I’m not” she denied. “But I saw you?” he laughs. “I was just happy seeing a pure man buying cup cakes which is just for little kid.” she explained. Danielle laughs out loud. “Why are you laughing that hard”” she asked. “These cupcakes are for the kids out there, do you see?” pointing those street kids playing with a dirty shirts and hands. Brenna amazed to Danielle. He’s arrogant but has a pure heart. “You’re like my best friend” she whispered. “Who’s your best friend?” he asked. “Never mind, by the way I’m Brenna.” she said. “I know you already, I’m Danielle.” Danielle said. “They will be happy if cup cakes ware many, get this up.” Smiled and gave another ten cupcakes and Danielle left Brenna.
The next day Brenna saw again the guy she met yesterday. Walking with a smile towards her “Are you going to buy cup cakes again for the street kids?” she asked.
“No actually I just want to talk with you.” he said. Danielle is a nice guy and it seems like he never have the attention to disrespect Brenna. Brenna accepted his request. She had talked for the past hour more than she ever had with anyone in her entire life even with me. She easily gets closed to Danielle and she treated him as a friend. Danielle drew conversation out of her, made her feel at ease. She shared her story to Danielle even what she and I have faced. And so Danielle shared his story to Brenna. Danielle has had a broken family; her mother was in states while his father was with his second wife. Danielle was care off by his grandmother.
 “I always wanted to become a singer.” he said with quite sad in his face.
“Why should you try Danielle?” unconsciously she said.
“You said you joined to a competition with your best friend right?” Danielle asked.
“Yes, that’s true, but we lose.”
“Why don’t you teach me? I’m not that good but if you will practice me, hopefully I will be near to my dream.” he requested.
“I already forgot how to sing and dance. I don’t want to do that anymore.” she said.
“Music is my life.” Danielle said while looking from nowhere. Danielle was frighteningly intelligent self confident and witty. Those words of Danielle made her convinced to teach him. “Could you please sing me a song?” she requested. Danielle sings a song “Four seasons of loneliness”. That song was so sad but Brenna laugh insultingly. Danielle has the potentials but how he had song that time was quite bad. She doesn't mind Brenna’s insulting laugh and just laugh also after he finished his song.
That cold breeze afternoon, “I want to see Via. I want to sing with her, say sorry for what I have done to her.” She said seriously. “Don’t worry I will help you Brenna. For now let’s eat some foods, I’m already hungry.” Danielle joked and Brenna just smiled with a tender emotion.
One morning, Danielle hurriedly runs fast towards the house of Brenna. “Brenna! Brenna!” shouted repeatedly.  I have something for you!” Danielle gave a magazine.
“Read this part”, pointed one part of magazine.
“Sing and dance competition?”
“Yes, let’s join Brenna! That was in Manila” he insisted.
“I would but what if we lose?” contrary said.
“Is that matter? Don’t mind it. It’s not about win or loses, it’s for Via. Your best friend will surely join. This is your chance. You said you want to see her, sing with her, say sorry for what you did to her isn't it? Danielle asked.
“Yes that’s what I want.” Brenna felt her heart begin to pond heavily.
“Let’s take this chance Brenna, in fact I also want to be in fame.” he pleased. Brenna has nothing to do but to accept his invitation.
Every afternoon Brenna and Danielle practice their piece. One time while practicing, Brenna seems so tired and sick but they just ignored it and continue singing. At that moment Brenna fell down and Danielle tried to put her up. Brenna already noticed that she always felt headaches when she was tired. For that she decided to consult into a doctor secretly. She found out that she has leukemia. She decided not to tell anyone about her condition.
After one week of preparation the date where the competition was being set. They got to the location so early. Danielle was practicing his song while Brenna just sits at side of the side of the back stage waiting for her turn. From a distance, Brenna saw a girl walked slow but elegant, the gait of someone who expected the world to lake way for her. “Is that Via now?” asked Brenna to herself shockingly. “Yes she was.” She also said. She hurriedly hides herself and just watches Via from a far. “She looks more beautiful compare to the last time I saw her.” she added.
“Miss Via, you’re next” said the organizer. “Thank you sir, I’m ready” I said.  I sang the song “Say it again” everyone was amazed and clapped their hands after I sang. Brenna couldn’t expect that I was like a professional performer. Hundreds of talent joined to that competition and perform individually until Brenna was turned. She sang the song “Apologized” with her solemnized version. I feel empty when I heard her, it seems like that song was dedicated to me. That was a great song; I cannot deny that’s really a great singer.
Brenna had finished. At the back stage, I saw her waiting for someone and she saw me too.
I walked slowly towards her. “Are you waiting for someone?” I asked.
“Via” she said.
“How are you Brenna?” I asked naughty.
 “Via, I’m sorry.” She whispered.
“Sorry for what?”
“You know what I mean, I feel so guilty, I’m sorry.”
“Does it make different? Damage has been done. I already forgave you. In fact, you’ve no longer my best friend anymore so what the used?” I said arrogantly. She just stared at me with her pleasing eyes. “Nice to see you again, Brenna. Good luck, bye!” I said. It was so hard to pretend that still mad at her. Honestly I missed her and I’m so happy to see her again. I’m about to leave when she fell down. “Brenna! Brenna!” I shouted. I was so shocked and hurriedly I drive her to the hospital. I can’t stand watching her at that situation so I decided to call for her brother which I found the contact number in his pocket and I leave her.
Brenna’s brother together with Danielle arrived to the hospital right after I leave her. They found out that Brenna suffered from leukemia and that was too serious. “Sorry to say but she’s in great pain.” Doctor said. “We don’t know how far she could live. Only miracle can save her.” That revelation leads to them a great sadness. Brenna could probably die anytime.
Why you didn’t tell us about your condition?” asked Danielle. “I don’t want to see any of you worried about me” she smiled. “You’re in pain.” Danielle cried. “Why are you crying? I will not die.” She laughs. Danielle and her brother just watch Brenna lying in bed. “I have good news for you” Danielle said. Brenna looked at him and nothing to say.  “You and your best friend have passed the elimination! Only two of you will proceed to the next stage. A bit strange but that’s what you want Brenna. You must prepare you next song for you upcoming duet with Via” Danielle said. “She still mad at me Danielle.” Brenna said. “No! She’s not. In fact she’s the one who brought you here. She’s still care for you Brenna so don’t be sad, we’re here for you.” Danielle insisted.  Next month will be said battle between Brenna and I and it’s good because it only takes a week for Brenna to drive out of the hospital.
After one week, Brenna had fully recovered but the fact was she would still die without her knowing. I’m not aware of it too.
Brenna tried her best to practice her piece and so with me. I’m also excited to sing with her.
After the long preparation, the most awaited moment was finally arrived. At the big coliseum stage was set, spotlights were on, and thousands of people were waiting for me and Brenna. Everyone’s shrieking our names. That ambiance made me feel so overwhelmed. That was the most awaited moment I ever wanted. From a far I saw Brenna wearing her beautiful gown. A pink bided gown with a long lace at the back. She looks stunning with her dress as if she had no severe.
“Good evening ladies and gentlemen we’re about to start after five minutes.” the emcee announced. We proceeded to the back stage. I saw Brenna staring at me but I kept on ignoring her.
“Ladies and gentlemen, let’s give a round of applause to Miss Via Alcantara and Miss Brenna Fernandez” emcee shouted so loud. Crowds were screaming, yelling for us. In the two opposite sides we entered on stage. Brenna and I sang the song “CRY”. She was crying and I was trying to hold my tears. On that moment I had shown my sincere forgiveness to her. I hold her hand and sing together. Crowds continued to shout with joy. That was my ever dream. Right after we finished the song Brenna hugs me tight and cried and cried. “Thank you Via”. She said and just smile to her.
After an half hour the emcee was about to announced who won the competition. We’re both stand at the center of the stage, smiling together and we’re both happy whatever the result was, for us we’re both winners.
“And the winner in this sing and dance competition is no other than Miss Brenna!” the emcee announced.  I hug Brenna and lift her hand up. The emcees get close to us and give the microphone to Brenna. “I would like to take this opportunity to say sorry to my best friend, she was been my enemy after I betrayed her in similar competition before. That girl did everything for me to be in fame but I used to neglect her. I want to thank her for being such a true best friend. After all I did to her; she still loves me and forgives me. Do you want to know who is she? Brenna asked the audience with joy. And the crowds shouted “Yes!” “She’s beside me right now. She’s Via my real and loving Best friend.” She cried. Like she did to me the last moment I’m with her. Could you mind sir, I would like to give my award to Miss Via Alcantara.” She proclaimed. What she do was so amazing. That was the most unforgettable moment in my life. I couldn't even say anything but to cry. And she lifts my hand like what I did to her a while ago. The final and the loudest shouts and screamed filled the whole stadium.
Out of the amazement of all people, that was strange moments that reminds me very clear. Happiness in all people out there turned to a shocking glimpse that stopped the real life journey of Brenna as she fell down to the ground. That was the last day of her life being a great performer. She died because of leukemia. She died with a smile to her face. The dull face of her was totally gone and changed into a sweet and adorable girl. I almost remember what happened to her. Beyond that situation I heard someone’s calling my name. “Via! Via! Wake up! You’re dreaming again” my father woke me up from a saddest dream I don’t want to forget. I will never forget Brenna, my best friend, my idol, my sister. And I will never forget how we gave meaning to our song as we sang the song “CRY”.

God Bless:)


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento